The Electronic Income Verification (EIV) system was established by HUD to meet the Rental Housing Integrity Improvement Project’s (RHIIP’s) goal of ensuring that the right benefits go to the right persons. The EIV system electronically matches data from the National Directory of New Hires (NDNH) and the Social Security Administration. This provides a streamlined verification process for use at recertification by providing an independent source that maintains income information.
EIV Access Documentation
The Addendum C that is included in the MOR scheduling package includes documents that must be maintained and made available to Navigate and HUD upon request. These documents must be on-site and available for review at the time of the MOR:
- EIV owner approval letter (s)
- EIV Coordinator Access Authorization (CAAF) forms
- EIV User Access Authorization (UAAF) forms
- Rules of Behavior for individuals without access to EIV
- ISS Security Awareness Training Certificate (Annual)
EIV access will be terminated immediately for those whose documentation is not available for review on the day of the MOR.
EIV Policies and Procedures
The Owner/Agent must develop and implement written policies and procedures for staff to follow regarding the security and use of EIV data. Following written policies and procedures will ensure that applicants and residents are treated fairly and are not being discriminated against.
EIV Annual Training
Per HUD Notice 2011-21, issued August 17, 2011, EIV Coordinators, Users, and staff who do not have access to the EIV system, but who use EIV reports to perform their job function must complete the online Federal ISS Awareness training program annually.
This list is not all inclusive.
- O/A does not have access to EIV
- O/A is not using EIV for recertifications effective June 1, 2010
- Missing/incomplete documents as listed on Addendum C
- Rules of Behavior for non-system users missing where applicable
- EIV data being shared with unauthorized entities (LIHTC, RD)
- EIV data not kept secure
- Policies and procedures not updated to include EIV use and security
- Tenant Selection Plan not updated to include Existing Tenant Search
- EIV Income Reports not in resident file as 3rd party verification
- Resident files without documentation of EIV discrepancy resolution
- O/A not using the Existing Tenant Search (Mandatory prior to move-in)
- O/A not reviewing New Hires Report (Mandatory Quarterly Report – Pull “All”)
- Unresolved Failed Verification and Pre-screening discrepancies (Mandatory Monthly Report – Pull “All”)
- Deceased Tenants Report has not been reviewed and/or errors corrected (Mandatory Quarterly Report – Pull “All”)
- Multiple Subsidy Report has not been reviewed and/or errors corrected (Mandatory Quarterly Report)
- No Income Report has not been reviewed (Per policies and procedures – Pull “All”)
- O/A is not following HUD’s record retention requirements
- Missing/Incomplete form HUD-9887
- O/A is not providing residents with EIV & You Brochure at move-in and recertification
- Individuals with access to the EIV system or data not having annual security training (must now complete the online Federal ISS Awareness training program annually)
- O/A is sharing IDs or passwords
- O/A is not following the written policies and procedures they have developed